Many people suffer from Diabetes in Nigeria. This is set to double in the next 25 years. Diabetes is a lifestyle disorder that is triggered by unhealthy eating habits, stress, and lack of physical activity. It is also termed as the silent killer since the disease often goes unchecked for years and can require sudden hospitalization upon diagnosis.
Unless you resort to a multi-pronged approach towards Diabetes management, you may be at risk for health complications involving the kidney, heart, and eyes. If you or someone in your family is at risk for diabetes, you should consider buying a health insurance policy to avail financial assistance during hospital admission. This is because rising hospitalization expenses can exhaust all your savings.
Some health insurance plan may likely not provide coverage against Diabetes. In some cases, you might be asked to pay an extra premium, which is on the higher side, or undergo medical tests and go through a long waiting period.
Health insurance for diabetic people offered by insurance companies is an effective way for financial management of ongoing treatment costs. These may include doctor consultation, diagnostic tests, medicines, insulin jabs, devices for monitoring blood sugar to name a few.
Medical insurance for diabetics allows you to choose an adequate sum according to your needs and covers:
1. Expenses before and after hospitalization
2. Pre-existing diseases, domiciliary hospitalization, daycare treatments
3. Dialysis, consumable allowance, and companion benefits
4. Hospital room rent as well as fees of nurses, doctors, and ambulanc
5. Annual health check-ups
Apart from keeping your diabetes in check, choosing the right health insurance plan can help you in many ways such as:
1. Reduce your waiting period
2. No medical check-ups before policy purchase
3. Covers diabetes and associated conditions
4. Affordable premium with a choice of the sum insured
5. Life-long renewal facility available online
6. No hassle to pay by cash for treatment at best hospitals
Comparing different plans is a must when zeroing upon the best health insurance plan if you are looking for one that specifically covers Diabetes. However, it is not just the premiums that should be the deciding factor to narrow down to the best health insurance for diabetic people.
1. A plan that covers Doctor consultation fees not only helps you save costs but also gives you the freedom to consult a specialist who may charge a higher fee
2. Make sure that the medical insurance for diabetics includes cashless hospitalization to reduce the hassle of making cash payments in an emergency
3. The best health insurance for diabetics offers either no waiting period or a 1 or 2 year waiting period so that you can enjoy the benefits earlier
4. Ongoing medical expenditures towards diabetes treatment should be covered
5. Check the list of network hospitals to see if they are in your neighbourhood and easily approachable
6. Read the policy document carefully for pre-existing disease cover and co-payment facility
Diabetes is a lifestyle disorder and hence eating the right food, light to moderate exercise, and reducing stress levels can help you stay fit. Purchasing a policy that offers the best health insurance for diabetics is a smart move to lower your medical bills and treatment costs. It also comes with the assurance of swift claims settlement that is cash-free.
Diabetes can be perilous but adopting a multidimensional strategy with the right health plan can help you conquer this disease. So say yes to a healthier life.